Thursday, May 6, 2010

Why I am an Educator

Education is a basic human right; therefore, all must mean all! This notion must be applied to student learning, staff participation, administrational action and school leadership as a whole if a school is going to become high poverty AND high performing. Apathy, excuses and distraction cannot become the norm under any circumstances. I chose to pursue a career in education, education in a high poverty school in particular, because I am a humanitarian. I wanted to assist and inspire young people to free themselves from the oppressions of society and even more importantly the oppressions - mental slavery - of their minds.

Empathy and action are the deep roots of my self, it is who I am – who I always have been and who I always will be. From a very young age I was exposed and aware of the atrocities and horrible violations of human rights. News, politics and world issues were actively discussed around the kitchen table at dinner every night, for as long as I can remember. These discussions instilled not only a deep desire to help, change, and hope but it also bore my reflective personality, which created a desire in me to deeply understand what others were facing and feeling. Whether it was a classmate I sat next to in school, a mother who lost her husband, son and brother during the 1995 genocide in Bosnia or an Afghani girl who just wants to get an education - I was aware and I wanted to help. I began volunteering at the age of 10, as a candy-striper at Resurrection Hospital, this helped to deepen my compassion and motivate my intrinsic desire to act in positive, meaningful ways. I still exhibit those same childhood traits; today I volunteer for World Relief, an agency that assists refugees and their families. As a leader-in-training, I honestly believe that some of my earliest life moments and behaviors will be the most help – all I can be is who I am and who I am is a leader.

First and foremost leaders must act from the core of their moral structure. In terms of education, that means educating all students, making public schools one of the most important archetypes in the United States. If we are truly the land of the free, free must include the minds and heart of ALL citizens – education is the answer to HOW, freedom is the answer to WHY….so why are we still asking “WHY NOT?!” in terms of funding, investment, practice and so on and so on? Many people see the problems of the educational system as a reason why they should not go into the field, leaders see it as a reason they should. Exemplary leaders begin with the moral insight and add to it hope, reflection, practice, collaboration and positive action. Covey defines these actions as “character ethic” (Covey)- which focuses of the depth of human nature rather than public image and personality. In order to promote this “character ethic” leaders must, as CLS states “use the moral calling of moral education to mobilize” (Donaldson) Therefore, the actions of the school leaders must be shaped around authentic values for all children to learn and all children to succeed and all stakeholders must be invested in this process – “action-in-common” (Donaldson, p 51). When mobilization occurs ethos and culture are added to moral purpose, which is exemplified in the Three Stream Model of Leadership – relationships form trusting bonds and compassion, commitment to student learning, the school community and integrity and promoting shared belief in action, actively seeking out solutions and promoting positive change by using honest data and action research.

A school that follows the Three Stream Model is a school that understands the importance of creating a culture based around collaboration, cultivating high levels of relational trust and support. In order to create this sort of culture and leader must walk the talk – they must exhibit understand teaching and learning and exhibit those best practices, they must seek out collaboration in solving problems, they must give feedback to staff and students early and often, they must exhibit reflection, passion, patience and be an intentional source of hope, they must be proactive rather than reactive, as David Corbin’s father said “a sense of urgency without emergency!” In short they must live the Learner’s Life – Commitment, Compassion, Integrity and Reflection. When leaders act in these ways they lead all stakeholders to success because they are able to influence without relying on their authority. The idea of authority is hard for every one in one way or another to deal with – when authority is taken out of the mix, the focus can be placed on the students and their learning rather than the tension and hostility produced by hierarchical domination. Authentic collaboration is structured freedom where a leader must “expect and enable each person to enhance his or her contribution to student learning, both individually and as members of the school community” (Donaldson, p. 37). Therefore principals must hire a staff that they can trust with this task and in turn exhibit beliefs and actions that instill in the teachers, an equal level of trust for their principal. If school wide reform is necessary, it must indeed be across the whole school including all stakeholders in the process, it cannot just be a task of the administration or else it will never come to fruition.

When the whole school is working together in a single mission, working towards a shared vision student learning is the outcome because “students invest in themselves when they are invested in” (Best, 2010). Far too often I hear statements that begin with “these kids can’t…” or “these kids won’t…” – we must work together to change this pattern of thought and language, first asking for and offering help when we see moments that necessitate it, building relationships built on mutual trust and respect, then reflecting on our own individual growth and practice in order to create moments of learning for our students that are essential, authentic and rigorous; using the relationships formed to influence the learning and the difficult moments, providing fast and meaningful feedback and celebrating success every time it is earned.

I see my role as a leader developing as a strong moral and ethical guide. I practice improving my craft, honestly reflect, seek feedback, ask questions and then act in my student’s best interests. My experience with action research, mentoring and moral action have set me up for a future in educational leadership. Honoring and respecting the human experience and the innate rights of every being on this earth will help me achieve the type of leadership that inspires rather than controls, that listens rather than dictates and that operates on moral character rather than ego. These behaviors do not come easy, they require practice, diligence, honesty and self-discipline, but the way to create and maintain is to live and lead in both professional and personal life – acting the same way out of the classroom as I do in the classroom. Yoga and spiritual practice are huge aspects of my life and learning today, I use what I learn about myself on the mat and apply it to my life off the mat, just the same, I use what I learn inside of the classroom and apply it to my life outside of the classroom and back and forth, under and over, across and around – I live, learn and love every moment of my life as an educator, student and human. “Keep practice, all will come”

1 comment: